Oatmeal Cookies

I love anything with oatmeal in it – especially oatmeal cookies. My boys and I taste-tested 3 different recipes and I give you the best one below. These cookies don't look like much but they taste amazing and that's really all that matters, right? Also, the texture is slightly crispy on the edges, soft in the middle, and just all around chewy. Stored in an airtight container, these cookies still taste fabulous after a few days. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.


Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the two sugars and then cream the butter into them until thoroughly incorporated. Add the eggs and vanilla. Next add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in the oats and then chill the dough for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and shape the dough into tablespoon-sized balls. Bake on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges have just barely turned golden brown and the centers are still puffy. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.



*I wrote this cookie recipe down on an index card years ago from … somewhere. The truth is, I don't know where I originally saw it but when I type it into a search engine now, it leads me to the link above. The website and picture don't ring any bells with me but since I didn't develop this recipe, I feel that I should credit the correct (hopefully!) person who did. My only change to the ingredient list was to add nutmeg.

Comments

Popular Posts