Honey Rose Water Pie

This recipe recently helped me to win second place in a local pie baking contest. (The first place winner owns a bakery so I felt pretty good about my second place standing.) While trying to decide what kind of pie to make, I followed my intuition and chose a unique pie to enter.


I tried this recipe out a week or so before the contest and really liked it. Unfortunately, the morning of the contest I used a different kind of flour* and something about it made the crust puff up and crumble like crazy. In my opinion, the outside crust looked terrible but I didn't have time to do anything about it so I had two choices – either back out of the contest or enter a hideous looking pie. As I had many friends already coming to this contest and had told countless people that I was entering, I felt that I couldn't back out. So, I entered my homely looking pie. The competition was fierce and I was really nervous but in the end, everyone seemed to overlook the appearance of the crust and instead focused on the unusual flavor combination of honey and rose water in the filling. Despite my emotional roller coaster that day, I had a great time and tasted some really amazing pies made by the other contestants. I would like to thank Louis Wigen-Toccalino, proprietor at Decade, for hosting this spectacular event.

* jovial brand Organic Einkorn All-Purpose Flour. I LOVE using this flour because it is made from the original wheat that has never been hybridized. I have successfully used it in breads but when I add it to cookies or pies, it causes the puffiness and texture changes that I described above. Bottom line: I would recommend this fabulous flour for some, but not all, of your baking needs.

Crust Ingredients:

2 ¼ cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, very cold and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon rose water**
4-6 tablespoons ice water

**My local food co-op sells the Heritage Store brand of rosewater so that's what I used. Although the bottle doesn't specify, the website confirms that it is food grade. Also, the only ingredients are water and Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Oil. One can usually find rose water in Mediterranean food stores and on-line. Before purchasing, look at the ingredient list and/or confirm that the product is safe to use for culinary purposes.

Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss in the butter pieces and squish them between your fingers until they are no larger than a pea. You want to complete this step quickly because the colder your butter, the flakier your crust will turn out. Sprinkle the dough with the rose water and four tablespoons of the ice water, then mix in gently. If you can pick up a handful of dough, squeeze, and the mixture sticks together then you don't need more water. However, if the dough crumbles apart, you will need to add another tablespoon or two of ice water. This is a very moist dough so I would suggest rolling it out to a 1 cm thick circle between two pieces of waxed paper or parchment paper. Peel off one sheet of paper, place the crust in the pie pan, and then remove the second sheet. Trim off the excess dough and either a) use it to cut out designs with a very small cookie cutter to place around the edge of the crust, or b) place it back between the two sheets of paper, roll it out to another circle 1 cm thick, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake until the edges turn golden brown for a simple snack. (I'm impatient and a minimalist when it comes to decorating so I always choose option b.) Use a fork to prick the dough all over the bottom and up the sides of the crust. Crimp the edges and place in the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling.

Rose Water and Honey Filling Ingredients:

½ cup butter
3 eggs
½ cup cream
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornmeal or flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons rose water
2 teaspoons white vinegar
¾ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg (for glaze)
1 teaspoon water (for glaze)
Sea salt for garnish, amount depends on how salty you want it

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the butter is melting, whisk the eggs and cream together in a medium bowl and set aside. Measure the sugar, cornmeal/flour, and salt into a large bowl and mix in the melted butter until well blended. Add the rose water, vinegar, honey, and vanilla; mix until combined. Stir in the egg/cream mixture.

Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and brush the glaze in a thin layer over the entire surface. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the top is golden but the filling is still slightly wiggly. Sprinkle sea salt to your taste over the top of the pie and chill for at least two hours. Serve the pie cold or let it come to room temperature, depending on your preference. Keep in mind that this is a custard pie so it should not sit out of the refrigerator indefinitely.


Comments

Popular Posts