Carrot Cake

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of The Intuitive Baker blog and so I wanted to share a special recipe with you. I found this Carrot Cake recipe many years ago in an issue of Fine Cooking magazine and ever since then, I have been making it by request for friends and family at seemingly every birthday, holiday, etc. I cannot stress enough the importance of using good, high quality ingredients to make it, however. I say this because I once gave the recipe to someone who made their cake with cheap, low quality ingredients and when I tried their end result, it was nearly unrecognizable.


I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who reads this blog. I have enjoyed a really great year of writing for you and I look forward to another year to come. Please leave me a comment to let me know what you think.


Notes: This cake requires at least 4 hours of refrigeration after completion so I would recommend baking it the day before you plan to serve it. Or, start it in the morning if you want to serve it in the late afternoon or evening. Before starting this recipe, lay out your eggs, cream cheese, and butter to bring them to room temperature/soften them. Next, prepare your carrots. For this process, I like to use the shred/grate attachment on my stand mixer or food processor because it is much faster than grating them by hand. Proceed with the recipe.

Carrot Cake Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ¾ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ teaspoon ginger
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup olive oil
4 eggs
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
2 cups light brown sugar
2 ½ cup finely grated carrots (about 6 to 7 large carrots)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9 by 13 inch pan and set aside. Stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a stand mixer, combine the oil, eggs, and vanilla for 20 seconds on medium low speed, then add the brown sugar and mix for another 20 seconds. Scrape down the bowl, add the carrots, and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Add half of the dry ingredients, mix for 20 seconds on low speed, scrape down the bowl, then add the remaining dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Pour the batter into the oiled pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients*:

16 ounces (1 pound) cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
4 teaspoons vanilla
¾ teaspoon salt

Beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed for about 1 minute in a stand mixer or with a hand-held mixer. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Frost the cake and then refrigerate it for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.

*Note: This recipe makes a LOT of frosting. I mean, even if I spread on a very thick layer of frosting, I still have some left over. This is good news for people who love frosting but for people who don't, just cut the recipe in half. (My family and I like to spread leftover frosting on graham crackers.)


Comments

Popular Posts