Individual Key Lime Pies (No Bake)

I love finding unusual ingredients in the produce aisle and being inspired by them. Recently I found a small bag of Key limes for sale and just had to buy them. Then they sat on my counter for a week before I had the time and inclination to finally incorporate them into something. I chose this recipe to share because it is relatively easy and, in my opinion, a more manageable portion to eat than a whole slice of very rich Key lime pie.

Key limes are usually grown in the Florida Keys and are smaller, more fragrant, and thin-skinned than common limes. In their unpeeled state, they have a gorgeous citrus perfume scent that I find irresistible. I haven't tried making this recipe with regular limes myself, but if that is all you have, then by all means give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.


Crust Ingredients:

¾ cup finely crushed graham crackers
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling Ingredients:

14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
½ cup fresh squeezed Key lime juice
1 teaspoon Key lime zest

Whipped Cream Ingredients:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla

In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Evenly divide the buttered crumbs between 4 small containers and press down to form a crust. (I used clear water glasses so that you can see the layers but really you can use any small cup or ramekin.) Place in the freezer while you work on the filling.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and Key lime juice until combined with the paddle attachment, then stir in the lime zest. Remove the prepared crust cups from the freezer and evenly divide the Key lime filling between them. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours, or overnight.

Wash your stand mixer bowl and place it in the freezer along with the whisk attachment at least 20 minutes before starting the whipped cream. (Cold utensils will make the whipped cream come together more quickly.) Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Evenly divide the whipped cream between the 4 Key lime cups and serve.



Comments

Popular Posts