Chocolate Lava Muffins

I first made these “muffins” years ago for my husband on Valentine's Day after watching Alton Brown make them on his show, “Good Eats.” Thankfully I read the comments and reviews on the Food Network website first because the printed recipe on the site erroneously listed a few critical measurements. For you, I have shown the correct recipe below.


This dessert is incredibly cheap and easy to make, yet also tastes fabulous. (My six-year old taste tester declared, “I would eat more of these chocolate things with pudding in the middle!”) As you have probably noticed, presentation is not my strong point. I can make food that tastes great but I have a hard time making it look pretty. These muffins are no exception because they look like underdone cupcakes but frankly, they don't really need any help with appeal once you take a bite. I always intend to serve them with vanilla bean ice cream but never quite make it to the freezer once these come out of the oven. The recipe yields 12 muffins but since they are best served warm on the day of baking, I would suggest halving the recipe if you're making them for a small amount of people. Whether you make these for someone you like, someone you love, or just a batch for yourself, I hope you enjoy them.


Ingredients:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
4 eggs

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler, remove from heat, then add the vanilla. In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the dry ingredients, then add the melted chocolate mixture. (Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer or just mix by hand.) On low speed, add the eggs one at a time and then beat for 5 minutes. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line your muffin tin(s) with paper liners and then scoop enough batter into each cup to fill it 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 10 to 14 minutes, depending on your oven temperature. Start checking them around the 10 minute mark and pull them out when the outside edges look cake-like but the center is still liquid in a circle about the size of a nickel. (I baked mine for 13 minutes.) THEY WILL LOOK UNDERDONE AND THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE AIMING FOR TO ACHIEVE THE “LAVA.” Serve immediately.


Comments

Popular Posts